(Cal Performances Co-commission)
Manual Cinema broadcasts holiday cheer directly to your home with this world premiere of a special live-streamed adaptation of Charles Dickens’ timeless A Christmas Carol. The ever-inventive company that specializes in “vivacious hybrids of film and theater” (The New York Times) is creating a new production tailored for home viewing, one that’s poignantly resonant with our current lives.
An avowed holiday skeptic, Aunt Trudy has been tasked with presenting her family’s annual Christmas Carol puppet show from the isolation of her studio apartment—over a Zoom call while the family celebrates Christmas Eve under lockdown. But as Trudy becomes more absorbed in her own version of the story, the puppets take on a life of their own, and the family’s holiday call transforms into a stunning cinematic adaptation of Dickens’ classic ghost story. Manual Cinema’s vivid production features hundreds of paper puppets, miniatures, silhouettes, and an original music score performed live.
The pricing for individual Cal Performances at Home performances is on the honor system and is based on the number of people watching the performance.
- Free for Subscribers and Donors $225+
- One person viewing the performance
- Two people viewing the performance
- Four or more people viewing the performance
- Average price you would have paid to see this live*
* “Rock Star” is, well, above and beyond! You’re a true believer, a superhero in our book.